Default bonding mode to active-backup
I think that the default mode for bonded ethernets should be 1 (active-backup), because it works well without the need of "special" switches and/or wrong cabling.
The linux kernel default is 0 (round-robin).
An expert sysadmin can follow documentation to change mode.
#4 Updated by Davide Principi over 3 years ago
- Status changed from ON_DEV to MODIFIED
- Assignee deleted (
- % Done changed from 30 to 60
- The "New Logical Interface" UI allows selecting the bond mode
- The bond mode proposed by UI is "active-backup"
- The underlying implementation creates BONDING_OPTS value by reading any prop named after "BondOpt" prefix
Test case 1
After upgrading to the modified package signal
interface-update event. Existing bond configuration must not change. To check the bond configuration (for instance):
cat /proc/net/bonding/bond* | grep Mode
Test case 2
- Create a new bond interface
- Check the applied mode reflects the UI choice
#7 Updated by Giacomo Sanchietti over 3 years ago
- Status changed from ON_QA to VERIFIED
- Assignee deleted (
- % Done changed from 70 to 90
- bond0 set as active-backup
- bond1 set as round-robin
[root@ns1 ~]# grep Mode /proc/net/bonding/bond1 Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin) [root@ns1 ~]# grep Mode /proc/net/bonding/bond0 Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup) [root@ns1 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond1 DEVICE=bond1 BOOTPROTO=none GATEWAY=192.168.1.253 IPADDR=192.168.1.246 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 NM_CONTROLLED=no ONBOOT=yes TYPE=Bond USERCTL=no [root@ns1 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0 DEVICE=bond0 BOOTPROTO=none GATEWAY=192.168.2.253 IPADDR=192.168.2.246 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 NM_CONTROLLED=no ONBOOT=yes TYPE=Bond USERCTL=no BONDING_OPTS="mode=1"
It works as expected.
If you need to change the mode of an existing bond:
db networks setprop bond0 BondOptMode 2 signal-event interface-update reboot
#8 Updated by Davide Principi over 3 years ago
- Status changed from VERIFIED to CLOSED
- % Done changed from 90 to 100